Sunday, November 14, 2010

New Klan Hideout or a Black-OP

I am not ashamed to admit that I stood in line at the midnight launch and wanted for the latest installment of Call of Duty Black Op’s. I knew that I was going to subject myself to the racial tension of the virtual world. So I stood there, and waited to hear the same comments that I here online. The famous and unforgettable “N” word that is constantly spewing out the mouths of twelve year old boys, Monster fueled teenagers, and old men in their rocking chairs.  But not so surprisingly- while in the “real world”, I did not hear that word at all.  

Look, there are few things that you can call me that I will not disagree with. You can call me a nerd- because I am. I enjoy reading books, lucky enough to have great eye site, and I work hard on my GPA. If my GPA and kill death ratio were the same I would make even more unskilled spoiled kids dashboard their systems to save their winning streaks. You can tell me to get some sun, because I would rather be up all night playing games with my friends until the sun rises. But the fact that once my friends and I enter a room the “N” word starts to fly around like flies on dead carcasses is rather ridiculous.

Why is there so much hatred and prejudice language being exchanged on XBOX Live? Are these children repeating the language that they hear from their parents? Or do they really feel this way? I continually express to these backwoods-inbred-avatars that just because your trailer is located next door to McDonald’s does not allow you to use their Wi-Fi. If I was a true racist I would not even purchase a game called “Black-Ops” or is this the “Black-Op” an outlet for your racist tension because some are slowly falling into the minority category and swear they do not have a problem with it at all. But they do.

Of course, I do not live in my Mothers basement, I am not on Welfare, and I did not conduct a home invasion for my Call of Duty Special Edition XBOX. While I am tucked away in my Media Room hearing your loud footsteps in my Turtle Beaches I know what is coming next in the lobby. The “N” word. I tried to explain to these people if they want to be cool, or down with the cause, it is all right- just pronounce the word properly. They seem to forget that the ending has an “a” and not an “er”. I mean, you would think with all of the rap music that they purchase they would have learned this already.

But the fact remains at least twice a night I am engaged in a battle of words because I just so happen to be black. I mean some nights I might not even get to play a game and the word is being exchanged in the lobby. Is this were the Klan decides they want to hang out, because they can not really spew their nonsense in public. Is a headset the new robe? And why did they cover their faces anyway? Shouldn’t they be proud of their hatred of themselves since we all come from Africa?

But it is often hard to combat the Klan, Skinheads, and the deranged all at one time when I am just trying to get some kills and have a good night with my friends. Look, we have a black President. I will claim him now since you already have Tiger Woods. All of the trends are set by black folks and that jersey that you are wearing just happens to be a black guy that plays on the team.

So when you see xWDGx six50war online and in a room get ready for a game. Spare me the racist drama and let us have a great time. I am tired of feeling disappointed about my fellow Americans, and being reaffirmed that racism is alive and thriving online. Just because you got drop-shot by an old man that is old enough to be your dad gives you no reason at all to resort to your last line of defense- the “N” word. I am sure if there was even a word of that equivalence for your race being tossed around online like a sticky grenade you would be mad.

So here is a challenge: The next time you hear someone on XBOX Live or the dying out PlayStation community spewing some racist trash- do me a favor and tell them to cut it out. Oh yeah, and to all my brothers out there- stop talking so ghetto and ignorant online. This is not helping the cause. Now quick-scope that.

No comments:

Post a Comment