Sunday, June 2, 2013

Grab the Stagecoach and Hit the Road

Anytime California representatives suggest a new law addressing gun control, I always hear a handful of California residents proclaiming they are going to pack up and move to Texas.  Many point to the fact that Texas has fewer regulations than California. This may be true- but then I point to reasons for regulations- like the plant that blew up in West Texas, and destroyed a neighborhood, killing several people.  I also point to the fact that they are using money from the Obama Administration to rebuild… and repair their roads.

As a Californian that lived in Texas, I lived it. I lived the isolation of another perspective. I faced racism on a regular basis.  One day, I was standing outside watering my grass and a female neighbor said “Hi Negro neighbor”, in a half- joking, half-serious tone. Now, don’t get me wrong- this is not all of Texas, but this is my experience.

There were days when I was stuck driving behind a pick-up truck covered in “I hate Obama” stickers and a Confederate flag waving in the air.  Yes, this new law to some can be considered a removal of rights. Why should you have to subject yourself to a background check to get bullets?

Well, if you have nothing to hide, then you should have nothing to worry about, correct? Never mind that the Government has just made it mandatory for Google to hand over your data- including the search for how many bullets it will take to kill a deer and religious quotes to be plastered on a Facebook wall directly from the Bible Belt.

A background check for a gun and a background check for bullets is nothing that the law abiding citizen should be afraid of. If you are using the gun to go hunting- killing animals that you fed- or for the intruder that happens to be lurking around every corner, than you are fine.

Shouldn't there be one more layer of protection for our children? I know that those who are worried about this background check live in a bubble. A bubble of Faux News, Rushmouth commentary, and the Sarah Palin Pit-bull and lip stick speech. I wonder if she had any other quotes but couldn't fit them on her hand.

There is a lot to love about Texas. I loved the thunderstorms, the cheap homes, and the spirit of the average Texan. I loved watching the Cowboys and their owner, Jerry Jones build that masterpiece of a Stadium. I even love the slogan “Don’t Mess with Texas”, but… that was started due to the high amount of liter that is often left on the road.

I loved Friday Night Football, even with the Natural Gas oil rig spewing toxic fumes in the air and underground the stadium… and our homes.

And of course, California is not perfect. Houses are expensive, gas is high, and by only speaking one language- I am the minority- and I’m not white. But I do live in the countryside of California. I get to see horses and cows run free, smell the farmland in the summer, and see the seasons change. I hate the traffic and I hate the disparity between the advantaged and disadvantaged. No place is perfect. Not Texas. Not California. Not even the United States.
But we have to understand the point that I have stated may times. We are so fucking divided by religion, economics, race, and political affiliation that we cannot see through the rhetoric. We often say that Freedom is not “free”- as the soldiers return in caskets. But then take away freedoms in every state.

I did find that it was rather odd that Texas had its own Pledge of Allegiance. Personally I believe that this increases the division of that State from other states. But that is fine. You can enjoy the intellectual properties that come from California- and enjoy the natural gas that may be linked to disease and deaths of citizens across the country.

California regulates to save lives- Texas deregulates to make money. California is strapped because of mismanagement and the programs that often help the disadvantaged and maybe offer them an opportunity to climb to middle class status.

Look, if you live in California and hate the laws then move. Climb in your futuristic stage coach with your loaded guns and head east. There is no place like Texas, like there is no place like California. A matter a fact there is no place as we know, like Earth- so enjoy where the fuck we are. Just remember what they say- the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence.

I like many of the laws in California- I like the diversity in culture. I love the weather, I love the ocean, and I like not being pulled over by a cop and being asked if I am driving my car and where the fuck I work- Maybe my skin tone played a role in my experience. It is kind of hard to not take a racist joke off the lips of a redneck personal without wanting to shove my Nike Airs up his ass.

We should all be Americans, instead of individuals that are restricted by invisible state lines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment