Sunday, July 25, 2010

A Real Patriot

So what is a Patriot? A patriot is an individual that supports and loves the country they live in. So with recent talks of patriotism and the word “patriot” being thrown around like a baseball, I think we need to take a look at the true meaning of what it is to be a patriot.

I am a patriot to the fullest extent. I love American but I often call out some of its flaws so that it can become a better country. For example, we love our children and when they do something wrong we discipline them and try to change their behavior because of love not hate. Those that think people who speak out against the war are not patriots and need to re-read the definition.

Are the members of the Tea Party patriots? Yes. Are the members of the Coffee Party patriots? Yes. It is important to understand that patriots stand up and fight for their country. But patriots also have the responsibility to call their country out when necessary. We have the right to stand up and fight for our right to bear arms. We have the right to support or not support gay marriage. Even though opinions may collide, patriots fight for their side of the issues.

The new patriots ride in on their laptops and shoot hollow words at the people. Real patriots tell the truth and separate opinions. Real patriots buy American if possible and affordable. Real patriots work to build a strong nation not separate and divide individuals within these borders. I love my country, I love that I have the opportunity to try and achieve my dreams. But I have seen the rights that I enjoyed as a child taken away and not available for me as an adult.

I plan to continue and be a patriot and speak out about what I think is wrong and how we can become a better country. When I talk bad about the war it is because I am a patriot and do not want to watch young men and women die for false freedoms. I have been a victim of police profiling and racist discrimination, but I also have managed to use those situations to make myself stronger.

Patriots, it is our time to stand up and take our country back. We are being overtaxed, undereducated, underemployed, and fed genetically modified foods. It is our job to inform the public. I want the rights of Americans re-instated. I want the Patriotic-Act to be thrown out and burned. Citizens of America, we do not need to be scanned before we take a vacation, no more street cameras on every corner, no more drones flying above our heads and watching our actions. Freedom is slowly slipping away. Let’s all be patriots and fight for freedom to return.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. I'm not sure I'm a Patriot. I feel too much reform is needed and many critical mistakes were made from the inception of the country. Unfortunately I think and internal revolt is necessary. You can't have inequality or illusion of freedom. The word freedom is tossed around to give us this illusion, but rarely to point out our experience in the true meaning. I'm not talking all out anarchy (which would be unlimited freedom) I mean reasonable freedom for all. It's quite ironic that many insist we say the pledge of allegiance when its promises are hollow and false. Always have been since the country was founded...I'm afraid they may always be out of some folks grasp (ie "liberty and justice for all" in particular).

    YL (can't figure out how to not post anonymously but you know who I am!) (doh! maybe I just did it...)

    ReplyDelete