Monday, July 26, 2010

A Message to Fathers Raising Daughters

Raising a daughter is a task like no other. Fathers always hear that their little daughters will have them wrapped around their finger. You will do anything for them.

I am very lucky because I was able to watch my mother and father raise two girls. They raised their daughters to be strong and stand up for what they believed in. They made sure to never break their sprits. It is very important to make sure that a child’s spirit is never broken. Parents play a huge role in the mental developmental process of children.

As a stay at home father I have spent long periods of time with my children alone and have had to deal with all types of situations. When I was left alone with my daughter for the first time, I was in shock. I spent 14 months alone with my son, but all of the sudden I was afraid to change a diaper. I didn’t want to do it, but there was no way that I was going to allow her to walk around the house with a saggy diaper. After overcoming my fear of the little girl zone there emerged several new obstacles that were different from raising a son. These are my tips based on what I have learned so far:

1) Treat your children fairly

My son was rather easy and very calm. My daughter was always very excited and full of energy. She was always trying to keep up with her brother. Since she is younger than her brother she is always in a competitive mode. No matter what the situation is even to this day my daughter is always trying to get praise and beat out her brother in any situation. After hearing all of the comments of how she was going to control my feelings and that I was going to treat her differently then her brother, I made a conscious decision to make sure that I raised them fair and treated them the same way.

2) Give them the attention they need

Children need a father’s attention, but especially daughters. As fathers, our job is to raise children that are productive and can offer something to society. As a father raising a daughter I have taken the approach to show my daughter what it is like to be around a man that treats women with respect. I hope that this will show her how she should be treated by any other man that may enter her life.

3) Treat your wife with respect

This may sound rather simple but this approach is very important. I make sure that I treat my wife with respect in front of both my son and daughter so that my son knows how important it is to respect woman, this also demonstrates to my daughter how a man should treat her in the future. Our current society is still disrespectful to women. It is shown in our movies, music, advertisements, and many other aspects of our society. It is important to offer our children, especially daughters, positive images of women in society.

4) Find role models

My daughter is lucky that she has the opportunity to see such a positive woman like her mother in her life. My wife is a breadwinner, a scholar, a nurse, and to most a feminist. All of these traits have helped my daughter develop into a strong little girl due to roles being reversed in a household. But it is also important for the negative images of women to be counteracted by positive images of women. For example most men enjoy watching sports, if your daughter is in the room and the opportunity is available let your daughter watch women playing sports. My daughter enjoys watching women playing soccer with me. The first time she watched women playing she was happy and sat down on the couch and watched the whole game. This was one of the best moments that I have experienced this summer with my daughter.

5) Teach your daughter to respect herself

Do not force her to become a sex object by letting her run around town in her two-piece bikini, and cover her face in make-up in the early stages of her life. This only helps promote the sex image that the media is dependent on. Fathers, we are raising the women of the future and it is important that they have the tools necessary to find men that will respect them and love them.

So in short fathers- treat your daughter like she is the love of your life. Cherish her and allow her to be who she is. If we love them like they should be loved then we can help them grow into the strong women we know they can be.

3 comments:

  1. I don't have a daughter (got two sons) but this post makes me think of my father-in-law, who raised four girls in a house with only one bathroom. I babysit my niece quite a bit, so I know where you're coming from on the diaper-changing thing. I was terrified the first time I had to change her diaper.;-)You're doing some great work in this blog. You have a lot of wisdom to share, so thanks for doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a wonderful father. Its a shame that others don't make the self and societal analysis as critically as you examine it. Having just been at the San Diego Zoo I saw several young mothers with their children. Many with the possible fathers (I would be assuming too much if I said for sure). But something brought to my attention is the look of today's new parents. I want to be as open and accepting as I can, but consider you partners with some care. If their entire face is pierced, they are drunk at the zoo and, they have profane tattoos all over their body, what kind of role model are you expecting? I hope you aren't disappointed.

    YL

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great way to motivate all the fathers that think sharing there life with there children is to much trouble. It is really SAD for a FATHER to look back on his life / legacy
    an realize he has no experiences with his children or family. I had a great time with rasing my family we didn't have much but, we love, fough, laughed & cried together as a family. I am so proud of each one of them so as they sow ther seeds in this earth I am sure proud of everything they do and produce.

    1) Attending birth of my children
    2) Going to the 49er game with SON
    3) Beating Dallas in playoffs the CATCH
    4) Witnessing his growth as a man with
    his FAMILY
    tHESE ARE A FEW THINGS IN THE THOUSANDS OF THINGS WE LOOK BACK ON AND SAY I BELONG HERE

    ReplyDelete