Friday, June 1, 2012

Dads, Welcome to the Club


            I have been a stay at home father for a while now. I love it, but I also prepared myself for the new work force at the same time. I have completed my Associates, Bachelors, and am currently enrolled in my Masters degree.

            It is a hard job. I was left with my son in my arms when he was two weeks old. I was ready for the challenge. I was also lucky enough to have some experience. I worked with my mother at a daycare center that offered an after school program during the summer. I was also responsible for working with children ranging from 1-3 years old in foster care.

            These children had many different challenges. Their mothers were crack addicts and this addiction was passed down to the children. The children had many different behavioral problems; some of them had violent responses to the simplest request.

            There is a new movement towards men staying at home and raising their children. This is great news. But dads, do all us other dads a favor and prove all of the “nay-sayers”, wrong, and do not let the world take a crap on your manhood.

            There is nothing like being there with you children, if possible. Cherish it, and teach them what the world is all about early. I had to deal with the battles and inner-demons of feeling like a failure, but I did my job, and I did my job well.

            I also supported my wife. Emotional support is huge, because they also feel and fight their own inner-demons. This type of role reversal is rather hard. Women often face a barrage of questions while they are in the workforce.

            I did not hold my wife back from doing what needs to be in the corporate world. I knew that she would have to attend dinners after work hours, and that she would also have to continue her education, to break the glass ceiling.

            Even to this day, there are long hours on both of our schedules. I am the taxi driver, the tutor, the cook, and even the psychologist. But it works for my family and in this economy we are doing fine.    

            I made it through the early ages with no broken arms, no diaper rashes, and no news stories of lost children at the park. I know that shortly I will be entering the work-force and I hope that my education allows for me to create my own business.

            S,o to the new stay-at-home dads, welcome to the club.  But know that this is also an opportunity to improve your skills.  Take time for yourself because it is needed. And support your other half.  Do what you would expect of them if they were at home. When my wife walks in the front door dinner is ready, homework is done, and the house is clean.

            It is not just about being at home with the kids, but holding down the fort, and raising children that are prepared  to deal with the world outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment