Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Stop Muggin'

What is happening in the black community?   All communities for that fact, or is it just that I left the Southwest- where people still had respect for one another? For example, anytime I leave my home in California and I happen to be in the same proximity of a black man (my age, younger, older- whatever) they seem as if they want to "mean mug", or stare at me rudely.I think to myself “wow, really? This is how we are going to treat each other?” But I still pay my homage and respect. I still make eye contact, nod my head, and say “what’s up”. It is not like I believe that we should stop and have a conversation, but we should respect one another.


 As a Communications Major, I understand the importance of human communication. Both verbal and non-verbal communication is very important in any situation.  I feel as if we have lost respect for one another as black men. We always treat one another like we are in a rap video or some characters in a gangster movie. What happen to community? What happen to respect?


As long as we continue to stare at one another in a way that is disrespectful we will do nothing but continue the destructive behaviors that are in our community. I have spoken about the dangers of our music, one form of communication. But we also have to examine the devastating actions that non-verbal communication plays.


Non-verbal communication is the way that we dress, the way that we walk, how we look at each other, and how we stand.  All of these things give off certain cues. These cues can be either positive or negative, but the fact remains, we are giving off these cues all the time, and it is dangerous if every identifier is negative.


I was heading to the store in my small town and three young black men were walking by. Not only was there a police officer making his rounds- driving slowly, but it was a nice night. I made eye contact with all three of these young men and in return they started to “mean-mug”.  These kids, with their clothes falling off and their plastic snap back hats were all wearing the uniform of the new house Negro.  This disrespect really shocked me.

As I left the scene, I was a little upset at the reaction from these three young men. I thought to myself, that their parents were failures because they did not teach their children respect. I believe that it is important to respect your elders. But we need to take this a little further and respect one another.


By walking around and staring at one another like we want to get into a fight is not good for our health. I do not think that white people walk around exchanging stares and starting fights with one another. I am not sure about this completely but it does not seem to be the case. This little cultural habit is something that bothers the hell out of me. Most of the people that should be reading this probably are watching a fight on social-cam right now, and believe that their actions are a part of “being black”.


So please black men, next time you see another black man, do not put on your movie face, or your video mask, and just pay respect. There is no need for us to continue this harmful non-verbal behavior. This behavior is being taught to our children, and we need to stop the mugging so that we can overcome the crumbling of our community and remake our cultural norms.I am sure that there are many things that we can agree on and many changes that we can make if we work together. But our actions create nothing but division amongst ourselves. It is no longer necessary for “the man” or any other organization to lynch us, or segregate us; we do today by our own free will.


There is power in numbers, and with as many brothers that are searching for opportunity, there is plenty of it if we work together. I am sure that this mean mugging is not happening everywhere, but where it does happen it needs to stop. There is no need for violence amongst us; our struggles with society are often hard enough. There is no need for us to place more obstacles in front of ourselves.


This is not only to avoid the extinction of a race, but to help our children have better lives as well. Our children often act, talk, and walk, like the people that raise them. There is no need for us to continue to spread this type of nonsense to the youth, our future. Look, I am not asking for a whole conversation, just respect. If we continue to mean mug one another this just shows the lack of respect that we have for ourselves.     

No comments:

Post a Comment